Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Whose the Dog

So this Sunday sees the beginning of a new session with trainer Sam Malatesta.  Sam breeds magnificant german shepherds, dogs whose behaviour is so exemplary that it is humilitating to even be in the same room as them with my own bad dogs!  It is sorta like a Before and After scenario - it's just I am not even in the ballpark with the "After" yet despite months and months of training... did I mention I am a bad owner?  Because Sam points out the issue is NOT the dog, but the OWNER.

The Toronto Humane Society has graciously allowed the course to take place on their premises.

Sam's methods are not to everyone's taste ... nor is he.  He is a self-confident (brash), opinionated (scathing), verbose (my, that man loves to talk!) and doesn't mince words (come with your flak jacket) or wrap things up in pretty packages.  The first session I had with Sam I went home both nights and cried with humiliation ... and returned the next morning, because DAMN that man knows what he's doing!  I am also comfortable enough with myself to accept that while straight talking can sting, ego can't get in the way of truth. 

And I LIKE him.  I'm ok with people telling me I've been doing everything wrong - that lifelong habits with dogs need to be reassessed and re-evaluated because damn, look at my dogs - they sure as hell aren't reflecting confident, serene behaviour!  Despite all the characteristics above, Sam is also charming, fiercely committed, honest and compassionate (he just doesn't like anyone knowing that!).

For me, the bottom line is that I believe implicitly that Sam has it right - and I have seen a lot of improvement in my dogs despite not being anywhere near where they should be.  Certainly Finn has benefitted immensely (granted, she is the least damaged of my dogs - all of whom are rescues and come with their own unique set of issues).

Sunday, Doug and I will be bringing Llyr and Darcy.  Llyr badly needs socializing (he was a backyard dog, relegated to infrequent visits and a lifetime (3 years) spent looking yearningly in at the life he was denied), he has aggressive tendences based not on a natural aggression but a deluded notion that he is the "dominant" (Sam says - and I concur - Llyr is NOT a natural dominant - merely pretending to be!).  He is also incredibly sweet, loving and a goofball.

And my Darcy Doodlebug?  This is it - this is his last chance - if he were a cat, his "9th" life.  Poor damaged, abused Darcy is a biter - and unless I can (a) control HIM in order to prevent the bites or (b) deal with his issues enough that he no longer bites, he is doomed.  I have spent 18 months doing my best to socialize him but he continues to be a loose cannon - unpredictable, aggressive and viscious - with most people.  He worships me, is immensely attached to Doug and adores Rowan - but even so, he has bitten Doug twice and the other day, for the first time, went for Rowan (I had him tethered as always so was able to stop him).  The stress this has caused is immense - and I cannot continue to risk friends, families and strangers.  I am praying to all the gods that with Sam's help we can do something for this dog - whose behaviour is no fault of his own but based on treatment meted out by humans.

Updates to come - no humiliation will be spared nor browbeating go unreported!

No comments:

Post a Comment