Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Some exellent thoughts from Brindle Stick

Brindle Stick has an EXCELLENT diatribe on the insanity here in Ontario where law-abiding citizens with innocent dogs are harassed, reviled and their dogs jailed while IDIOTS like the JERK that placed his german shepherd in a situation where she bit (seriously) several people apparently gets off scott-free. WHEN is this government going to grasp that dog breeds should not, CANNOT be arbitrarily labelled "vicious" or inclined to bite.  There is NO such breed as "pit bull" just a number of dog breeds that people decide are this mythical "evil, vicious people hating canine". 

I am also perplexed.

A year or so ago, when I arrived home, my son informed me that some strange guy opened BOTH our gates into the backyard (I have a two-gate system to ensure my dogs do NOT escape and to allow access to the side door without running into the dogs) and was wandering around checking out the house.  The dogs, thankfully, were INSIDE.  He confronted the guy who made up some story about being asked to give a quote on something or other - Declan told him to leave and literally had to insist. When I heard this, I called the cops (on the regular line) to report the incident. It was my understanding that is what you do in case there is some sort of neighbourhood scam going on.  I got this incredibly ignorant cop - rude, aggressive and unresponsive. I said in passing, "glad my dogs weren't out as that guy would be in ribbons"- and was then treated to a rave from this stupid cop about how I WAS LIABLE and maybe they should come over and check out my horrible dogs, that I wasn't "allowed" to keep dogs that would bite and that he seriously was considering calling Animal Control.

WTF??

I was flabbergasted first for the unlooked for, unwarranted spew of nastiness from this cop and secondly, to find out (as I did after I hung up) that YES, if this SOB had entered my yard - my securely fenced, properly signed (BEWARE OF DOGS) yard, through not one, but TWO fences and were bitten by MY dogs who were protecting MY property - I could be charged?

How screwed up is that? And this guy has a dog who he carelessly, criminally leaves unleashed and bites a bunch of people and that's ok?

Get your priorities STRAIGHT government! As Brindle Stick points out - there is some seriously messed up thinking here.

"Bad dogs" do not "happen". Dogs are not born "bad".  Breeds are not "naturally inclined" to biting or violence.  BAD OWNERS ARE THE PROBLEM - deal with THEM.  It's called BEING RESPONSIBLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment