Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Icy Redux Redux

Icy and Diablos' former owner was kind enough to reply to an email I sent.

As I suspected (based on my feeling that anyone who kept such lovely dogs so hearty, hale and healthy had valid reasons for surrendering), he had no choice (for reasons he asked remain private).  However, he has given permission to share a few of his words.

These are a direct quote:

Icy was in good health and had no health issues what so ever She had 1 benign lump on her right front leg which was not bothering her at all and was in fact decreasing in size over the past 2 year. The largest it got was almost the size of a tennis ball, at the time I surrendered her to THS it was the size of a golf ball and shrinking. I am DEEPLY upset with the fact she was put to sleep. As you can read below I have received a few e-mails fomr some of you who want to help and others who decided to rub it in. Before you send me ANY e-mails please consider the following:

1. I FIRST found my BELOVED dogs a home with family


2. My family reengaged and I had to find a home for the dogs again

3. I had a 2 week grace period in which to find a home for them and that is when you guys came in, thank you.

4. Unfortunately there were no spaces open ANYWHERE and I DID call ALL the shelters and rescues that were suggested to me
5. With no time left before I LEFT THE COUNTRY I went to THS based on YOUR recommendation
I am NOT happy Icy was put to sleep, it pains me deeply as she was my baby. It was painful enough knowing that I will never see her or Diablo again.
I am not sure to whom the "you" refers to - obviously somene gave him some guidance about bringing the dogs to the THS. At one point it would have been good advice - and there are many of us, before this situation that might have gambled it was STILL the safest place - sadly, this is not the case.

But in any case, he confirms that other than a benign lump (which many old dogs develop - I know my old Lass had quite a few), Icy was healthy and happy.

I am sorry that Steve's belief in the Toronto Humane Society was so horribly misplaced ... and I know that he and all of us want an answer why.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, time for answers. It is very gracious of Steve to respond as he did. It's gut wrenching to think about how it must of felt receiving the news of Icy's passing via random e-mails.
    We now know Icy was in good health. For what possible reason would they need to kill Icy? The THS is practically empty. If this is how they operate with empty cages, I cannot fathom what will happen when intakes are higher. I'm just mind boggled thinking of how some 'expert' justified killing her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that, Sheenagh. I cannot imagine what Steve is going through. I'd never surrender one of mine to THS, even under their bequest program where, if you pay them a hefty sum, they will place your pets in foster homes for the remainder of their lives. Nope, THS won't be getting any hefty sums...or monthly donor dollars...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know redstar - ironically of course I ended up with yet another begging letter today - but until and when I see signs taht the THS reflects what I yearn for it to be - nope, nope and nope again.

    agreeding HB - it is not as if they are overwhelmed and had absolutely nowhere to put this dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (scuse the spelling errors - still have this damn cast on my arm which makes it hard to type)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for keeping up the pressure on this. It is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had high hopes for the 'new' THS, with the OSPCA out of the picture, where does one turn when faced with such a heartwrenching decision. That they appear to be taking the same stance as the OSPCA and saying nothing is truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want an answer too. Three weeks and NOTHING. Within 24 hours a healthy dog - with a lump, gosh, old dogs get them! especially larger dogs - was put to sleep and no one will say why, or whom? Why the secrecy? I so hoped for the best with these new people, but I am highly disappointed. And I don't even live in Toronto anymore, or I would probably go to the THS myself and demand answers. Not like they would give me any, to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friday afternoon and still nothing...WTF

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this has been brushed under the rug, and we certainly will not let that happen. I suspect the investigation has taken on complexities that can't be revealed right now.

    That said, surely the THS board has, by now, changed whatever policies allowed this to ever happen, and re-trained staff accordingly. No excuses, no compromises. Just stop the killing.

    ReplyDelete