Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dog Training Seminar this weekend at the THS -

Last chance to sign up for an indepth training seminar with uber trainer Sam Malatesta, to be held at the Toronto Humane Society this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, August 21 and 22. Thanks to Garth Jermome and THS staff who have agreed to make the facility available.  Kudos also to Mr. Jerome for encouraing his staff to attend.

Sam has worked with dogs his entire life.  His approach is unique, provocative and most of all WORKS.  My own dogs, two german shepherds and one demented terrier are entering their fourth month of Sam's program and the improvement in their behaviour is simply unbelievable.  Each of my dogs is a rescue and thus comes with their own unique set of issues.  Finn, my black and tan was found starving on city streets, full of parasites, cuts, contusions and bruises, bald from a brutal case of mange and a commensurate skin infection.  Llyr was a backyard dog - spent 2 and half years of his life tied up with minimal contact and no socialization.  Darcy was a THS dog - came in abused (horribly) and lived his life in a frenzy of terror (making him a serious biter). 

Put the three together as I did and inside the house (after working with them - I acquired each of them at different times) they were AWESOME ... let someone walk near the door and the Hounds of Hell were let loose.

I had them at various trainers - we did the prong thing (AWFUL - I jettisoned it as soon as they finished their course), we did the alpha roll thing (WORSE - nothing like taking an already insecure dog and FORCING him into something that doesn't even HAPPEN in the wild), we did the too many treats thing, the ignore thing and the result was three messed up dogs ...

I attended Sam's last seminar in May and despite being Sam's "bitch" (sighs - the perfect example of the bad owner and bad dog) - I LEARNED ... and got insight and illumination.  A month later I began his program.

Still in the program as the older the dog the longer it takes to fix the issues - my guys are happy, relaxed and a PLEASURE to have around.  For the first time in the 10 months I have had him, Darcy walks with his head in the air, his tail over his back, wagging mightily (he used to slink with his head down, shaking with anxiety, scavenging for food).  In the past month, TWO strangers at different times walked into the backyard when he was having his time to play and he DID NOT BITE.  That is unbelievable!

Llyr's anxiety is less than half of what it used to be.  He has stopped jumping (for the most part) on people, he ignores people walking by on the street (he used to just about go through the window - typical screwed up territorial issues from being a backyard dog). Finn used to go ballistic when she saw other dogs or people, now she might yap for a second but settles down quicly and ignores them.

The program runs at the THS from 9:30 to 5:30.  If you would like to sign up, email me and I can put you in touch with the co-ordinator OR turn up at the door Saturday morning. You are also welcome to come for one or the other of the days if you don't want to go to both.

Cost is $150 for the two days or $75 for one.

Visit Sam's website for some excellent blogs on his philosphy. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting agenda for the two days.

    - leadership and the misconceived notion of dominance
    - what is a dog? what are we expecting? have we denied who they are?
    - gadgets of convenience (halti, prong, electronics, choker)
    - the four basic drives - building a bond and gaining respect
    ...- the three levels of socialization
    - stage-appropriate exercises
    - dog pack - are you the leader or just an interfering nuisance?
    - crating and kenneling
    - failed recall and the blatant statement a dog makes when it won't return
    - solving aggression
    - rescue and fostering
    - shelter dog testing and the pathetic use for euthanasia
    - responsibilities of shelter volunteers, foster parents and dog-walkers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this isn't related to Sam's seminar but I wanted to let you know that donations at the THS are down almost 60%.

    If we want to see the THS offering the programs and services that support no-kill they are going to need money and lots of it.

    Doing behaviour rehab for hard to home dogs costs a lot of money and I worry that the THS is going to spin into a catch 22 if donations don't start picking up soon.

    The executive director just put a plea for donations up on the THS website.

    http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/newsstories/aug20_2010_1.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheenagh, thanks a bunch for posting this. I am positive this will be a successful and fun event. So wish you could have been with us :(( I am going to miss you terribly.
    - Souha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Llyr did so well at the seminar! Had this bemused look when the other dogs were being demonstrated, as if it was doggie TV. Tilt-head gang indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have adopted a Doberman from our neighbor who passed away a couple months ago. When we got Duke he was 10 lbs underweight and had every parasite I could think of. He also had several sores from over licking and lying in his own feces. He is about 10 years old. Now he is minus the parasites and 10 lbs heavier and a lot healthier. He is a happy boy but shows some signs of aggression. I know he was severely neglected (starved and maybe beaten). He is, for lack of a better word, socially retarded. He probably has had no socializing in his life, by his violent and mostly fearful reaction to the vet I assume he has never been there either. I don't think he has a mean bone in his body and aside from his reaction to the vet (of course I would probably object to an anal probe myself). A few times we have tried to lift him into the truck or into the bathtub and he has been great. I think it hurts him to be lifted. So my husband and I were able to write that off, and put a muzzle on him when we needed to do any lifting or washing. But recently I caught him chewing on something and went over to investigate. He had just been punished for chewing some clothing so he was probably already on edge. I tried to get him to drop it and he growled. I backed off for a minute and my husband came over to see what was happening. Then I grabbed him by the collar and told him to drop it. He did and even backed off a step. When I reached out to grab the milk jug lid he bit he me several times. My husband hit him hard enough to toss him across the room and then he was put in the laundry room. He has never been possessive about his food or any toys. However, he will not tolerate being pushed down or lifted. So we don't. He is well enough to get into the truck and the bathtub by himself now and doesn't need assistance. I have read some of your articles and kinda have an idea what to do. But, he is really old for a Doberman (as far as I know they only live to 10-12 years) and I want to know if there is anything else I can do. I really care for him and feel a responsibility to care for him. But, it is hard for me if I don't have his trust, and right now he doesn't have mine. I am afraid he will react this way with some of our friends although he never has in the past, he is always offering an ear to be scratched and a happy tail wag. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a question regarding our German Shepherd. He's 2 1/2 years old now and weighs 108 pounds. He wasn't socialized as a puppy, so we are taking him to a trainer because of fear biting and aggression with people in the yard and house (he hadn't been aggressive toward my husband, our children, or myself.) The trainer has been helpful, and we've seen a lot of improvement. The last time we went for a session, she told us that our dog sees my husband as a leader, but doesn't see me as one. He basically refused to obey me at times during the session. She told me he was testing me and to keep doing what I have been, which is not giving any praise, petting or food unless he's done something for it - sit, stay, down, etc, and to stare him down if he gets into a "battle of wills" with me (she told me what to look for in his stance and said to make sure he heard the command before I stare him down - I'm to look him in the eye until he obeys me), or to use his choke collar by giving it a quick snap. She's also watched me as I worked with him and has taught me to properly put the choke chain on and use it correctly (we had never used one before). She said when I give a command, to be prepared to take as much time as possible with him until he obeys.

    ReplyDelete