Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

THS Elections..tonight at Primrose Hotel

If you're a member, don't forget to be at 111 Carlton Street (Carlton/Jarvis) and vote.  Meeting starts at 6 p.m. but if you planned on giving your proxy to someone, you're SOL. Proxies were due LAST Friday at 6 pm. to Scrutineer Sandy Cardarelli at WeirdFoulds.  So you have to get your own butt down there and vote in person if you want to be heard.

 
Hard to believe that yet another year has passed. 

 
Various rants came to mind, several of which revolved around the incredibly erroenous two mailings sent out by He Who Shall Not Be Named - and then I reconsidered and thought SCREW it - why bring attention to the ravings of a sad, unbalanced mind.

 
What I will say is that I'm catiously optimistic about what I'm seeing at 11 River.  Yeah. With my own eyes ... not through a grapevine, conjecture, gossip or heresay...

  • I'm seeing lots of animals making their way through - at the speed of light - adoptions are legendary and quite wonderfully bountiful.
  •  I'm seeing some very hurt (physically, emotionally, spiritually) animals getting the care they need to be given a new lease on life from massively expensive operations to caring, specialized staff who know how to deal with behavioural and emotional issues. 
  • I'm seeing a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program second to NONE which has successfully treated more than 1000 feral cats that are now healthy, happy and won't be reproducing. 
  • I'm watching the progression of the soon to open low cost THS spay/neuter clinic (a particular cause of my own as I don't happen to think only rich people should be able to afford pets).
  • I'm seeing a successful partnership with Toronto Animal Services, who themselves are working hard at becoming a kinder and gentler facility.
And that's just some of what I'm seeing.

Exercise democracy. Turn up. Vote and what will be, shall be.




1 comment:

  1. I can not tell you how pleased I am to read this. I remain on the fence about THS and have for a long time so it's good to hear news from someone who has seen this for themselves. Are the numbers of animals taken in higher than they were? I would like to see that increased. I will tell you that a couple of months ago when I was worried about Local 79 going on strike (which includes some TAS workers) I spoke to Rob Ford about the situation. He told me no way would he allow any animals to suffer or be killed because of a strike and promised to look into it. A couple of days later I received a call from the head of TAS who told me if Local 79 went on strike it only affected office workers, not anyone working with the animals. Our conversation lasted the better part of 20 minutes and when I got off the phone I felt quite good about this woman's viewpoint and what she was endeavouring to do. I visited one of the TAS shelters and I can tell you I was impressed and that's not an easy thing for me where animals are concerned. Maybe Toronto is finally evolving a little as far as animal welfare is concerned. Please keep us updated on THS progress. I will be interested in reading more about it as things move foreward.

    ReplyDelete