Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Celeb dogs - here's hoping it doesn't start a trend

The capricious nature of the celebrity-loving public has, in the past, had tragic consequences to entire breeds of dogs.  From the flood of dalmatians abandoned in pounds and shelters (circa.  101 Dalmations), to the neglected and quickly jettisoned huskies (Snow Dogs and Eight Below), Great Danes (Marmaduke)- and then of course, all the celebrities toting poor little toy breeds and treating them as an accessory, there has been an inevitable and usually tragic spike in dogs bought - and quickly abandoned.  This article gives an excellent synopsis of the syndrome and why it is has such tragic consequences to so many animals.

Looks are the VERY worst reason to adopt a dog.

Today's Dogster article on the Golden Collar celebrations is a case in point.

Uggie, the adorable, pint-sized co-star of the movie, The Artist, took top houours... and this scares the hell out of me.

Jack Russels are absolutely delightful, entertaining and adorable dogs; they are also incredibly bright, super energetic, curious and need LOTS of stimulation and exercise in order to keep them occupied - and their owners happy.  They are NOT a dog for everyone. 

Next to my beloved Shepherds (and of course, my always adored pitties), Jacks are probably my favourite dog breed.  But then I know what to expect.  As a wise and knowledgeable dog owner said to me at a mutual training course we were at - "terriers have these HUGE personalities all squished into this TINY body"!

Before I had my Darcy (who had to be euthanized last year and for whom I still mourn terribly)- Doug was really unfamiliar with terriers (the Darcyman was part Jack, part rat terrier, a pinch of Pom and a great big DOLLOP of "Wolf") and was ambivalent about taking in what he perceived as a "small" dog.  A fan of our two GSDs, I think he envisioned a celebrity brand pocket pup with a cringing personality.   Darcy quickly disabused him of his very wrong misconceptions...

Fearless, stubborn, endlessly curious, determined, pig-headed and delightfully entertaining, Doug quickly learned the realities of terriers.

Jacks can make superlative family dogs - IF the proper leadership, training and time is put into it.  They have long life spans - up to and often exceeding 15 years  - and keep their bright, funny, energetic, determined and wilful personalities right to the end.   Without someone willing to commit to extensive daily exercise sessions, someone able to take on the leadership role (give them an inch, and Jacks will take 10 MILES), and someone who is able to keep them occupied and busy, Jacks can turn into a nightmare dog (through no fault of their own).

So again, though it has been said again and again - RESEARCH the BREED and never, EVER buy a dog based only on its looks!

I truly hope that a year from now, our shelters aren't overflowing with abandoned and neglected Jacks.

1 comment:

  1. As usual an eye opening article. I am curious about one thing. Years ago I was interested in getting a German Shepherd. Someone I know made the same statement you just did "research" but I never knew where to get the information I wanted. If I were interested in getting a dog, where would I go to find the information needed to make an informed decision?

    ReplyDelete