Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

You're a PUPPY MILLER - ashat ... face it

Being the peaceable person I am, I have been engaging in a fruitless war of words with an ignorant puppy mill breeder of “yorkie-poos” for the past couple of days.

I admit freely that I am a craigslist addict; as a former member of a German Shepherd rescue group, I still can’t resist perusing ads and giving (often unwanted) advice to those seeking homes for their discarded shepherds. Knowing the breed as I do, I am fully cognizant that it is NOT a breed for everyone and to own a shepherd is one of the most rewarding- and sometimes challenging – journeys you will ever undertake.

But I also cannot resist sometimes giving tongue to ads which outrage or disgust me. The one yesterday was a self-described ‘breeder’ of yorkie-poos, SELLING these little puppy mill babies for $500 a shot... so I flagged her – repeatedly and will continue to do so. First and foremost, craigslist regulations CLEARLY state as soon as you click on “pets” no pet sales or breeding please ....rehoming with small adoption fee ok” – HELLO!! BREEDING, SELLING for $500 is NOT meeting the code of conduct there! Go to Kiiji where apparently irresponsible puppy mill ashats are fine – on craigslist you are NOT welcome.

Needless to say, our puppy mill diva was pissed ... and sent me an outraged email berating me for my public post advising people to flag her – and in which I called her an irresponsible puppy mill breeder.
Do you know how much shots food deworming care cleaning up after and possibly micro chipping costs? Plus there are ckc registered breeders on kijiji your post is ridiculous to say everyone on there is just breeding for money!!! I breed and I feed my dogs the best food there is out there and I don't let my pups go until they have 2 sets of shots and at least 3 dewormings microchipping they come with everything you can possibly think of!! Plus a 2yr written health guarantee and they have to sign a contract saying they have to return the dog so they never end up in a shelter if they can't keep them!! In no way am I irresponsible!! I don't know about the breeder your talking about but its NOT fair you stick all breeders under the same category! 
> Btw I never make back my money! I just do because I love the breed!
OK, let’s look at this – umm, YEAH, I know how much it costs – but those costs would NOT be THERE if you were NOT irresponsibly breeding MUTTS... and you are NOT a reputable breeder – granted some don’t offer deworming and shots but nonetheless you are STILL pumping out little pups for your OWN profit while thousands of dogs are killed every day or languish unloved in shelters. A very good percentage of those dogs MIGHT find homes if ignorant idiots like you didn’t convince other dumb people that backyard breeding is the way to go!
Right I make money umm 97.00 for microchipping 65.00 for each vet visit 320.00 for xrays for my female 3 days after she whelped was the first of many vet visits
Not including the vet visits starting before she became pregnant or the genetic testing for both my male or female which cost HUNDREDS ACTUALLY NEARING THE THOUSAND MARK FOR EACH!!
Plus I feed wellness and canisource as well as send my dogs with both in puppy packs!! Oh and fyi they are registered as well soooo if you can tell me that all of that adds up to the price of a puppy your dead wrong!!
And I breed a breed where they might need a c-section so I have to be prepared for that and have my vet on call and I only get a few pups a litter!! So NO I don't make my money back I won't even break even but if I better the breed and do what I love then IM HAPPY and so are the ppl who leave with my puppies!!
Which will NEVER end up in a shelter cause if they do the ppl who bought the dog from me will have a lawsuit on their hands! As stated in the contract they sign!!! Sorry but I care for what I create for life!! A
nd YES FYI I have worked with york region animal control as a temp foster home when they got overloaded because a very close friend of the family works there so I know exactly what those poor shelter pets go threw!
BUT it will NEVER stop me doing what I do because if I did I would not be happy! I don't breed mutts I'm not irresponsible I am actually one of the most caring breeders you will ever meet!
Maybe if you took 2 seconds and took your head out of you ass long enough to see that you would be a better and happier person! And your right their is no reason to contact you again cause we don't see eye to eye! And too be honest I hope with the way you think you don't or ever own an animal or a kid for that matter!
Your ignorant you truly are you walk around the world with blinders on and only see what you want to see! Seriously you can't and will never change a thing there will always be breeders and there will always be animals in need of homes. Its a vicious circle FACE IT and DEAL WITH IT!! Stop being so damn angry!! Live life with what makes you happy and leave others alone!

Sent from me to you with love <3 
Now, apart from the fact that you need some lessons in diction and spelling, I reiterate – you would not be incurring all those costs if you were NOT breeding poor little pups and putting your poor bitch through multiple pregnancies for a dog which cannot, will not and most likely will NEVER be a “registered” breed. You are breeding out of your house with two different breeds of dogs, making puppies who are – however you want to call it- MIXES – MUTTS – HEINZ 57s....
Further, you can claim all the genetic testing, shots, veterinary care (hello! you’re breeding a dog that needs C-sections?? nice), the reality is you are STILL breeding at will and actually, I believe that we CAN to a great extent, find homes for ALL animals. One of the steps involved requires getting rid of people like you who make a profit on their poor UNREGISTERED and therefore, NOT pure-bred, dogs’ wombs.
Holy SHIT your stupid I am registered a mixed dog is not!!! And there is ckc breeders on kijiji they are not all puppy mills do you research before you spew your shit you loser contact me again and this will be harassment as in my last email I asked you NOT TO EMAIL BACK!!! Now fuck off!!!!Sent from me to you with love <3 
Umm... registered with whom? The city – well it IS the law to license our pets. Otherwise, you are in no way registered with the CKC – because they ONLY register PURE BRED dogs.... the progeny of a Yorkshire Terrier and a Poodle cannot meet the requirements to be registered with the CKC. So with whom are you registered? Is there a Puppy Mill Central of which I’m not aware?

From the Canadian Kennel Club website:
  • Every breeder shall be conversant with and fully adhere to the By-laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of CKC, as well as the requirements of the Animal Pedigree Act (APA). 
  •  All litters and all dogs in each litter shall be registered with the CKC. Litter registrations shall be forwarded to CKC as soon as is reasonably possible after the birth of the dogs.
  •  ...
  • Every breeder shall maintain current and accurate records pertaining to their breeding program, the particulars of all dog registrations and all sales transactions.
  • No breeder shall sell or donate dogs for the purpose of their being auctioned, raffled, or to pet stores.
Now I didn’t enquire if she sells to pet stores although the chances are pretty high that she does. Further I am highly sceptical that she actually follows through on even a percentage of the after-care she promises (certainly based on my experience working with rescue groups which included dealing with the poor dogs rescued from puppy mills, many backyard breeders make grandiose claims which VERY seldom actually pan out) but regardless, however you cut it, however you justify it, you are breeding two disparate breeds (are your stud and bitch even registered with the CKC? – I would bet NOT) to produce mixed breed puppies ... you are not constrained by the CKC regulations which strictly monitor and demand certain standards of care and breed, in fact you are doing whatever you damn well want.

So, justify yourself, tantrum, scream “harassment” (umm, so STOP emailing me back, bitch), you are an obvious, self-proclaimed, irresponsible, contemptible PUPPY MILL backyard breeder – so bite me.

4 comments:

  1. Selkie,
    Setting aside the obviously heated exchange, I have to say that this breeder sounds ok to me. Sure there is a lot of information we don't know but from the details he/she provided, things sound ok. There is a need for more responsible breeders of little dogs as we have a shortage at present (at least in the US). The number of people interested in getting a little dog far exceeds the number of little dogs available in shelters, rescues or from responsible breeders. Thus, many people turn to pet stores and unscrupulous breeders. This person doesn't sound uncaring or irresponsible in the way he/she conducts her breeding hobby/business/whatever you want to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet it seems to me, for instance, that I read about California rescues for chihuahua rescues that are overrun... so I think it depends on the state/city.

    Also, i can't agree. First, claims are one thing, realities another. Many backyard breeders promise lots of things and don't deliver. Perhaps she does deliver on her promises - but unless you bought a dog from her, I don't know.

    First and foremost, this arose SIMPLY becuase I flagged her post. Craigslist- as I stated above - is NOT for breeders or for profit sales - it clearly states that. I didn't attack her - I simply flagged the post and said why. Her reaction was over the top to say the least (I haven't included everything she said).

    There are also reputable breeders that people can go to- people who are registered with the CKC - and the pups are not that more expensive! Particularly if, as happens, they get a litter that for whatever reason they don't wish to keep as breeding quality stock. Then you can get a discount.

    Frankly, too, here in Canada - there are NUMEROUS puppy mills - it is a BIG problem - particularly in Quebec which has next to no legislation. These dogs are kept in HORRIFIC conditions and carry with them a myriad of terrible genetic and other problems - not only costing potential owners incredible costs at the vet - but casuing awful pain and suffering to the dogs.

    I'm sorry- I CANNOT agree that it is ok to continuosly breed your dog - particularly when there are no safeguards in place.

    Selling mixed breed pups for $500 a shot is definitely not an "oops" thing but a concerted and determined effort to breed. Plus if you follow her vitrolic emails - you can see she does this on an ONGOING basis.

    I stand by my gut which tells me she is a backyard breeder and I will NEVER support those. It is people like her that continue to allow sick, diseased and genetically messed up little dogs to suffer in pet stores - and to be bought by stupid, unsuspecting public.

    there are numerous rescues too here in Canada - here in Toronto for instance, the pug rescue is very active and large. and yes, you may have to wait a bit as pugs ARE popular- but you will eventually get a dog!

    Finally, as her claim to be 'registered' is bogus - that simply leads me to believe her OTHER claims are as questionable.... You can't register a mutt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this a little troubling: "I breed a breed where they might need a c-section so I have to be prepared for that and have my vet on call".

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually, this turned into an entire brouhaha ... 2 other craigslist individuals emailed her (one who ran a JRT rescue) as they had the same suspicions I did, the other a vet tech. She was as aggressive, rude and unbalanced with them as with me. Before, however, they actually challenged her, the stories were radically different - ranging from it was a "mistaken" pregnancy, to ALL the pups having had ALL their shots at 4 weeks - selling them at 6 weeks.. the stories were varied, wild and invariably indicated that those poor dogs were NOT in good hands. Unfortunately, of course, we can't solve stupidity and greediness which is visited on the mis-use and abuse of poor little dogs.

    ReplyDelete