Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Security Guards and Monitoring of Volunteers (and the Kincaid Affair!)

It is almost impossible to speculate that the heavy-handed and offensive monitoring of volunteers is, as asserted in last night’s meeting, linked NOT to a belief that dog walkers are going to steal, abuse or otherwise circumvent current OSPCA rulings vis-a-vis the dogs, but to their earnest desire to ‘protect’ us – even from ourselves, which was proferred as the REASON for the offensive security measures.

The lawyers said that there have been many threats made against THS staff, OSPCA staff and the institution in general; as such, they feel compelled to ‘protect’ the perimeter and the people in it.


I might add here that I question why - if there were death threats or threats of bodily harm - that volunteers were not warned. I also wonder if protocol was followed by the OSPCA and these threats were reported to Toronto Police Services? Perhaps anyone reading this that is cognizant can let us know?

They refused to speculate that the rumour perpetuated by the OSPCA that Kincaid was ‘stolen’ had resulted in watching the volunteers to ensure that MORE dogs were not ‘stolen’ or ‘substituted’.

As a dog walker who has had up to FIVE OSPCA officers and/or security guards watching every step I take, I would challenge their assertion that it was “for my own good”.

When I first heard the allegation that a Kincaid has (a) been spirited away to a “disreputable” rescue, (b) a “ringer” had been substituted.. and (c) the “ringers” had a substitute, which substitute then disappeared – I laughed! Such absurdity! Conspiracy theories! Scandal! Of course it wasn’t true – but according to Fred in One Bark at a Time ((http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/2010/03/rumours-and-discontent-at-tthe-toronto.html)) – who incidentally, apart from being an enthusiastic supporter of the OSPCA has indicated he has a good “source” – this indeed is what is allegated!

The reality of course, is vastly different but we were not given the opportunity to defend ourselves, as this issue “is currently under investigation”.

So for those who have heard the rumour – dismiss it! Kincaid was legally and openly transferred to a Northern Ontario rescue – under the auspices of a THS vet AND staff members. Transported with full authority by a volunteer to a halfway point where he was handed over to the rescue person – who has since frequently and lovingly given updates as to his excellent progress under her aegis.

I would add here, I am HIGHLY insulted at even the suggestion that we would place LESS value on the “ringer” (who by ‘substituting’ we would place into a dangerous position) than on Kincaid. I can assert with authority that we do not decide one animal has more value than another! We love them equally.

Another volunteer was informed after the meeting by an OSPCA lawyer that they had received warning from another “credible source” that there were threats of stealing dogs from the THS, in particular during last walks. He even said that a mini van had been repeatedly sighted in the parking lot around the time of the warning from the “credible source”.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I wouldn't label myself an enthusiastic supporter of the OSPCA. I support any action any organization takes which helps the lives of animals but you know from my blog that I have no problems trash talking any animal welfare organization, large or small, if I feel they deserve it.

    I mostly view the OSPCA as an occupying force that is needed to transition the THS into something better. I don't view them as the enemy though whether I'd view them as a strong partner in animal welfare remains to be seen. My earlier wish was that Trow and company be removed from the THS. While that task is only half done, the OSPCA were instrumental in that. My present wish is that the THS be transformed into an animal welfare agency we can be proud of. I'd rather work towards that goal than spend too much energy picking at the OSPCA who are, I believe after talking to Kate MacDonald at length, going to be out of the facility eventually one way or another.

    As for the Kincaid switch plot being ludicrous, well, it's pretty obvious the OSPCA got their dog wrong but I wouldn't count the idea behind the plot as ludicrous as it's something I've thought about doing myself - not at the THS, not any time recently and never even remotely close to being carried out - but still, that thought or a safer variation of it anyway, did cross my mind as well as the minds of some other people who are much more respectable than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred, I have not and never intended to see them as the 'enemy' ... any ill will I have expressed is directly a result of the actions I myself have experienced or have seen done at the THS. I realize there is a conflict between philosophies and knew there woudl be some issues; but the Tuesday meeitng is the FIRST instance they have actually voluntarily TALKED to us.

    I still consider the whole "theft" thing NONESENSE. You must understand, when it comes to our dogs, there are NOT many of us! Tim was resistant to new volunteers and lived in a lala land where the dogs got out three times a day ALWAYS - even if there were skelton staff and he had refused to allow any more volunteers to sign up.

    There is a core group (at least since I've bene there, December 2007) of around 12 of us. And we are pretty close as the dogs welfare is foremost in all our minds. We are all very consistent and turn up at our usual times ALWAYS, if not, we get in touch with the others and let them know a shift needs covering.

    The point of this is that I think that ONE of us would have known about one of US "stealing" a dog!!

    Again, I reiterate one of my points - there is not ONE of us that would ever think that ONE dog has more value than another! To think of putting in a "ringer" that would then run the risk of being euthanized, or whatever we were supposedly stealing the other dog FROM, is insulting and impossible.

    I would also point out that I am sending an email to the ospca lawyer to ask if there were DEATH threats and such, why were we not informed? and if there were, then I would assume a police report would have been filed - if so I would like to see a copy.

    ReplyDelete